So in the past year or so I have been making my own instant oatmeal mix at home. It takes only a few minutes to put together and it is very versatile , since it does not limit you to any one flavor profile. I've decided to share my basic mix recipe and some of my favorite add-ons with you. Feel free to make it your own and don't forget to share your delicious ideas.
BASIC OATMEAL MIX RECIPE:
3/4 to 1 cup quick oats ( choose gluten free, if this is a concern)
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon raw pumpkin seeds*
1 tablespoon raw sunflower seeds*
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, or more to taste
* for a greater nutritional punch use sprouted seeds.
Just in case you think you might get bored with this, here are some of my favorite toppings :
- Make it a classic : add some warm plant milk (usually I do this at home) , cinnamon and maple syrup (or sweetener of you choice)
- Go tropical : add shredded coconut, dried/fresh pineapple,mango and bananas
- Go superfood: add some goji berries, hemp seeds and raw cacao powder
- Go seasonal: add some pumpkin puree or apple butter, and a dash of pumpkin pie spice
- Go savory: omit the cinnamon and add some leftover roasted veggies, sauteed greens and a dash of turmeric.
- My everyday favorite: Basic mix with frozen berries, walnuts and agave syrup.