From China, Kombucha spread throughout Asia, and then to Russia , where it is known as "tea kvass". Since the 1990s it has been gaining popularity in the United States and the rest of the Western World.
For most people Kombucha is an acquired taste, but people that use it in their everyday life and see the benefits, swear by it.
So, where is the truth about Kombucha? Is it really a miracle drink or is it another one of those "healthy " things that we'll be regretting getting into later?
Here are some facts that can help you decide:
- Kombucha turns black tea and sugar into a healthy beverage. In many "healthy" households both black tea and sugar are on the "naughty"list. However,through the process of fermentation the Kombucha "fungus" produces metabolic by-products like glucuronic acid, hyaluronic acid, glucosamines, and many B-Vitamins, including Vitamin B12.
- Glucuronic acid has the ability to connect to the toxins in our bodies and render them water soluble, meaning they can be passed through the kidneys and flushed out of the system. Glucuronic acid is also one of the few substances that can detoxify petroleum-based products.
- Another by-product of the fermentation process in Kombucha are glucosamines. Glucosamines in the body are associated with cartilage, collagen, and fluid, which lubricates the joints. Glucosamines increase hyaluronic acid production which allows the connective tissue in the body to bind moister thousands of times its weight and maintains tissue structure, moister and flexibility, as well as lessening free radicals damage. This prevents and relieves arthritic pain, and as an added benefit slows down the aging process.
- Due to all the above mentioned reason Kombucha is known for its rejuvenating effect on the body. Gray hair grows back in color again, skin is tightening, and overall feeling of health and vitality is often experienced.
- Due to its detoxifying effect on the body Kombucha is being used in a lot of natural treatment regiments for cancer and autoimmune diseases.
I recently used Kombucha to fight off a cold. I wanted to detoxify my body a little bit and boost my immune system in order to prevent really getting sick. I also read that Kombucha balances the acidity in the body , creating an environment of good bacteria, which helps you fight off any harmful organisms. I have to say , I was impressed. I didn't catch my cold early enough to prevent it but I was able to shorten the duration, and experience less symptoms, making it a lot easier to recover.
I have decided to try and make Kombucha at home. But this will be a topic for another blog, after all the experimenting is done and the recipe is improved. :)
So go ahead and give Kombucha a try if you haven't already. And stay healthy and happy!